Registration of NGOs and Tax Exemption applications in Malaysia

saledn5920_Registering a non-profit or non-governmental organisation

You can start your research at your local Registrar of Societies (ROS) branch.

For example, if your organisation is in Taiping, your ROS branch may be in Ipoh. Find out where your nearest ROS branch before you start compiling your documents.

You will need a society constitution in place, the names of the members of your society committee, as well as meeting minutes and resolutions stating you want to set up a non-profit organisation or society.

These basic templates of a Constitution or meeting minutes can be found at the ROS office or have a look online. See ROS’s link for more information.

With the paperwork complete, bring the documents to the local ROS branch for registration. ROS officers will advise you if you need more documents or give you additional information you may need to register your society. A small fee is required for registration.

Organisations with dependants to care for may need to seek more information from the state or federal Welfare Department or the Jabatan Kebajikan Masyarakat (JKM).

With your ROS registration and/or Welfare Department registration, only then you can apply for tax exemption, which can be done at the Inland Revenue Board office (LHDN) in Cyberjaya, see this link for more information.

Getting tax exemption status for your non-profit or non-governmental organisation

Here is the official guide on how to get tax exemption for NGOs.

You can download it here.

Applications have to be made at the Tax Policy Department or  Jabatan Dasar Percukaian (Level 14) in Cyberjaya’s Inland Revenue Board or Lembaga Hasil Dalam Negeri office (LHDN).