By Whom: Lady Gent, wife of the British High Commissioner in Malaya
When it first started, this non-governmental, non-profit organisation was known as Women Service League (WSL). Each state had one branch of the organisation and the branch in Kedah was formed by Mrs Berrat (wife of the then British Advisor for Kedah) and Mrs Hill (wife of the then Head Judge of Kedah).
When another women’s organisation was formed by the name of Women’s Institute (WI), WSL’s membership started to decline. To date the only surviving and active WSL in Malaysia is the current PKWNK.
Members meet every Wednesday from 9am-12pm at the Rumah Bidara Alor Setar.
* Sewing/making Kedah traditional costumes baju kedah, prayer costume for ladies, cross-stitch, quilts for sale to the public – for fundraising
* Visits to hospitals – to give away magazines, food and blanket
* Fundraising events – charity bazaar etc
* Making handicrafts (for fundraising), and organising handicrafts workshops
Money raised from the sale of handicrafts and fundraising events are used for charitable causes. Among the pledges done by the Society this year from the money raised are financed SPM exam fee to promising poor students, and purchased wheelchairs for poor senior citizens.
* Provide help to Kedah women (especially the older generation) who are in need.
* Unite women in Kedah towards helping promote charitable causes.
Estimated Monthly Expenditure:
Please contact organisation
Description of Needs:
- The Society is in danger of becoming extinct! Thus, PKWNK needs membership especially among the younger generations to ensure its survival: Membership fee is a minimal RM12/year.
- To support its cause, the Society would be grateful for monetary donation in the form of purchase of their hand made products.
- Cheques Made Payable to: Pertubuhan Kebajikan Wanita Negeri Kedah Darul Aman