Who are we

Borneo Child Aid Society is a Malaysian registered NGO providing education for underprivileged children. It provides education and healthcare primarily to children of plantation workers in Malaysia’s North Borneo state of Sabah. These children are largely without access to basic education because of distance, poverty or legal status.

At the time of writing, they operate a total of 87 small schools or Pusat Bimbingan in different plantations in Sabah, spread out from Tangkulap, located about 50 km from Telupid in the Sandakan Area, to Sebatik 2, located about 10 km from Tawau. The schools accept children, locals and foreigners, according to the UN’s Charter for Children. Each school has an average of 50 pupils.

As they operate mainly in plantations, where the workers are mostly Indonesians and Filipinos, the children at the schools are mostly foreigners. However, due to lack of government schools in some of those areas and poor accessibility, the Society also provides education to locals, which are mostly children of office or plantation staff. The children learn the Malaysian curriculum.

The majority of the teachers at the schools are Filipinos or Indonesians, but the number of local teachers is growing. The Society encourages a good mix of local and foreign teachers. Teachers go through a 2-year training period.

For our current projects, click here.

Our needs

Volunteers are welcome. Please contact organisation for more information about how you can help.

With a fast growing project, there are many things, which they need in order to develop their program and to benefit the education of the kids here. Run on a shoestring (US$ 8 per month per child) the project cannot afford to pay for most of this. They require additional funding to be able to develop this unique program.

They have also made a wish list here, in the hope that you or your company can contribute with some of the much needed items. The Society also welcomes donations in kind such as books and medicine.

About 80% of the operating expenses for the 87 schools is covered by donations from plantation companies and other donors. To ensure continuity, Borneo Child Aid Society is looking for permanent sponsors/donors to make up the remaining 20%. If you wish to help, please make out cheques payable to ‘Humana Child Aid Society Sabah’ and send to the contact details given below. Please also contact Mr Torben Vennings to find out the latest specific needs/requirements.

Cheques Made Payable to: Humana Child Aid Society Sabah

For courier, please send to:
Humana Child Aid Society Sabah
Att: Torben Venning,
MDLD 6057, Lot 37, Lorong Sri Perdana
Sri Perdana Jalan Silam
91100 Lahad Datu

Learn More

Borneo Child Aid Society

Torben Venning (Project Manager)Contact Person
[email protected] | [email protected]Email
+45 31 60 01 20Phone Number
+6019-8084402 Phone Number
+603 2178 4113Fax Number
123/96Registration Number
MDLD 6820, Lorong Perdana 14, Sri Perdana P. O. Box 61850, 91127 Lahad Datu, Sabah, Malaysia Address
Visit Us

Every donation goes to Touching Hearts Welfare Society, Kuala Lumpur and Selangor and is exempted from tax under sub-section 44(6) of Income Tax Act 1967. Hati.my does NOT collect donations on behalf of other NGOs. Kindly email [email protected] after your transaction is successfully completed to receive a receipt. The receipt will feature the following fields:
I have read the privacy policy and refund policy statements.