Who are we
We provide shelter for People Living With HIV and AIDS (PLWHA) who are rejected by family and society. Homeless PLWHA who have been released from Hospitals but still need to continue medicine intake, dressing of wounds or are at the terminal stage of AIDS will find a safe shelter.
The Foundation ensures that necessary treatment is administered and also ensures follow-up treatment with doctors and hospitals. PLWHA are given a clean and hygienic place to stay and nutritional food to assist in the recovery process.
The shelter is provided for a period, depending on clients; needs, their progression in health status and the social reintegration process. PLWHA at the facility also act as caregivers to other PLWHA who are in terminal stages and in need of care.
The Pelangi Community Foundation began in September 1998 with no funding support and has largely depended on the goodwill of individuals, like the French Community in Kuala Lumpur, the Netherlands Embassy and Stiftung Umverteilen in Germany.
The Foundation has since grown, a reflection of its need and importance, to serve more homeless persons living with HIV/AIDS. Today, we totally rely now on our self. Overseas funding is no more coming to us as Malaysia is considered by funding agencies as a developed country.
To start small income generated projects, we received funding from the European Union through DOH International. We have started a small scale printing business. Please contact us for all your printing needs. We print from business cards to booklets and even books.
– Ensure that all homeless Persons living with HIV and AIDS (PLWHA) have access to basic medical care and treatment for opportunistic infections
– Ensure that all homeless PLWHA will be able to live and die with pride and dignity.
– Provide a place to stay, recuperate and rebuild their mental and physical strength
– Provide counselling and a friendly, non-judgemental home
– Provide a space to die with dignity
– We conduct outreach to homeless PLWHA at hospitals and to street-based Drug users
– Pelangi provides support to homes, poor families and children, infected/affected by HIV
– We arrange detoxification for HIV positive heroin users at hospitals and follow-up care with psychiatrists. We also provide medical treatments for Heroin Dependent HIV positive Drug User
How you can help
By volunteering your time:
As Caregiver, friend or counsellor
As Administrator of Projects like:
- Sale of Pelangi’s products
- Preparing Pelangi’s products for sale
- Hospital outreach and street outreach
- To visit families and children homes
We would be grateful for your donation in kind or cash.
What about helping a HIV positive mother to purchase her Antiviral medicine?
The Malaysian government provides Combination Therapy for HIV infected children for free.
For infected mothers one medicine will be given, the rest, the mother has to buy them by herself. The reduced price at the hospital ranges from RM 600 to RM 1200 each month.
Pelangi Community Foundation
|Rainer Rotthoff or AzmiContact Person|
|[email protected] | [email protected]Email|
|+6019 743 7232 (Rainer)Email|
|+6019 360 4031 (AZMI)Fax Number|
|Established since 1998Year of Establishment|
|Pelangi Community Foundation, Lot 1583,Jalan Jambu Bongkok Kampong Jambu Bongkok, Merchang 23000 DungunAddress|