Established in 1986, Penang Heritage Trust is a charitable NGO dedicated to promoting Penang’s cultural and built heritage. Its objectives are to promote the conservation of Penang’s heritage, to facilitate cultural education programmes, and to cooperate with other like-minded organizations in Malaysia and abroad.
- Promote cultural diversity and awareness
- Preserve and restore heritage buildings
- Revive the inner city and local communities
- Encourage sustainable tourism initiatives
Over the past decade, Penang Heritage Trust has consistently declared its concern for guardianship of Penang’s traditional trades and communities, its historic architecture, and the inner city’s urgent need for revitalization and preservation of its cultural and economic diversity.
Consultative Roles & Public Interest Promotions
- Participated in the State Heritage Advisory Board Committee chaired by the Chief Minister of Penang
- Contributed to the Local Government Consultative Forum
- Worked together with CEPAT on a sustainable public transportation plan for George Town
- Initiated a feasibility study for the return of Electric Trams in George Town
- Defended the liveability and accessibility of George Town by conducting a swiflet breeding operation survey with USM, coordinated a study and survey on traditional trades in inner city, and played an advisory role to Local Government in upgrading works and improved pedestrian conditions.
- Facilitated input from local residents for Penang’s revitalization projects following the Repeal of Rent Control.
- Led efforts to lobby for George Town’s listing as a World Heritage site, which was finally realized in 2008.
- Promoted the need for conservation laws in George Town and organized a ‘Save Penang’s Heritage’ signature campaign to the State Government.
Penang Heritage Trust
|+604 2642631Phone Number|
|+604 2628421Fax Number|
|Penang Heritage Trust 26 Lebuh Gereja, George Town, 10200, Penang MalaysiaAddress|