Who we are
PEKAKA, the acronym for Persatuan Bantuan Pendidikan Kanak-Kanak Khas, Sungai Petani, is a Parents’ Support Group for Children with Special Needs in Sungai Petani. PEKAKA is registered under the Registration of Societies Act (1966) of Malaysia. The society was formed in November 1998 by several parents of children with special needs to provide assistance to our children in acquiring quality education.
Right now we have a Child Centre in Taman Cempaka. This centre is now the focal point of all our activities. Meetings are held there regularly.
QUALITY EDUCATION FOR ALL
• advocate quality education for all children with special needs in an inclusive environment in normal school
• prepare children with special needs to attend normal schools by providing the necessary skills through an early intervention programme
• cultivate public awareness on the right of every child to receive education in normal school
• ensure that children with special needs can attend their neighbourhood schools
Special Education Convention and Seminars
• Educational Lectures to Schools by our resident Advisor Tuan Syed Abu Bakar
• Pre-School & Educational Counselling
• Health Counselling with the Strand Hospital
• Assistance in placement in schools for members’ children
We are organising workshops for the people with disability (PWB) from the age of 18 and above, so that they can learn some skills. Right now they are only focusing on culinary and bakery. We need donations and volunteers to help and organise the workshops.
Our upcoming events
• Pre-school and counselling to members’ children
• Plan for vocational training for young adults
• Plan a seminar on compulsory education and what it means to our children.
• Plan a seminar on Sexual Development of Young Adults with Learning Disabilities.
• Follow up on our request for a Special Education Programme to start in Chinese and Indian Schools.
Our future plans
• to set up a vocational skill training centre for Young Adults
• to set up a one-stop information and counseling centre to assist parents of children with special needs
• to set up a novelty store similar to the Red Cross Shop to be run by Young Adults with Special Needs
Cheques or Bank Drafts should be made payable to Persatuan Bantuan Pendidikan Kanak-Kanak Khas, Sungai Petani OR to PEKAKA.
Otherwise call us for details.
Persatuan Bantuan Pendidikan Kanak-Kanak Khas Sungai Petani
|Established since 1998Year of Establishment|
|K/PJH OKU 027/2017Registration Number|
|20 Lorong 31, Taman Petani Jaya, 08000, Sungai Petani Kedah. Darulaman, MALAYSIAAddress|