The Shan Refugee Organization SRO was founded on 4 Jan.2006, to support Shan Refugees in their pursuit of safety in Malaysia. The purpose of the SRO is to assist members of the Shan community group who are suffering as a consequence of their lack of status here in Malaysia.
SRO staffs are all volunteers from within the Shan community. They are advocates for the protection and registration of Shan refugees with the UNHCR and they assist individuals with the registration process. SRO helps refugees to obtain healthcare, to find protection in times of crisis, and networks with the local police, Government, and NGOs to increase awareness of services available to the community. There are currently estimated to be around 4500 Shan in Malaysia. With dedication, hard work and integrity, the EC members of SRO will work hard to protect their members and shed light on the situation of the Shan in Malaysia.
SRO wishes to foster a reputation for helping any member of any ethnic group in any way possible and it encourages it’s members to do the same. SRO encourages its members to have faith in the organization and to strive to make the best of this difficult situation. In order to help its members, SRO tries to connect, inform and mobilize people. The organization is committed to achieving progressive, sustainable development of our community in the scope of human rights.
This is a brief overview of the conception of the Shan Refugee Organization in Malaysia
1) To give attention and care to our community members, especially refugees, who are held in detention centers/camps and who suffer serious health problems and to provide shelter for anyone in need.
2) To collaborate and communicate effectively and often with other Myanmar ethnic communities in order to find solutions to the many and varied problems encountered by all refugees in Malaysia
3) To give attention and care to our Monks, especially those who visit Malaysia, both as refugees and visitors.
4) To build the individual and organizational capacities of our members by providing information, networking, and learning opportunities that are relevant to their social and economic situations.
5) To broaden the constituency of organizations and individuals who share the commitment of SRO to promote equal opportunity and social justice by undertaking targeted and ongoing outreach to an ever-widening network of Shan communities.
6) To raise the living standards of our members, to achieve progress for the Shan community, sustainable development and freedom in the scope of human rights in Malaysia. We wish to foster a strong spirit in our younger members and give them hope for the future.
7) To promote Shan language, literature, history and culture and to provide education in the aforementioned areas.Learn More
Shan Refugee Organization
|+603 40212 631Phone Number|
|6016 9678 532 | 0111 666 0817Phone Number|
|Established since 2006Year of Establishment|
|R- 7, 7th Floor, Pudu Plaza Apartment Jalan Landak Off Jalan Pudu Kuala Lumpur Wilayah Persekutuan Malaysia 55100 Address|